Some websites store small amounts of data on your computer called ‘cookies’ to remember if you’ve been to the website before. They also enable you to use online services more easily. Find out how you can control which cookies, if any, are stored on your computer.
What a cookie is
A cookie is a small amount of data sent to your computer or mobile phone from a website. This means the website can recognise your device (your computer or mobile phone) if you return to the same website.
A cookie often includes a unique identifier, which is a randomly generated number. This is stored on your
device’s hard drive. Many cookies are automatically deleted after you finish using a website.
Cookies are not programs and do not collect information from your computer.
- Understanding what visitors to the website want to use and not use
- Cookies are used to see how many people are looking at specific web pages. This can help organisations make their websites more useful.
- Remembering your selections or preferences when looking at information, or using a service
- Cookies can allow websites to improve the service you receive and archive what is not used. For example, you could tailor a news website’s homepage to only show news from topics you are interested in. The cookie would ‘remember’ this and the website would present the information you want to see next time you return it.
- Enabling you to complete a task without re-entering information you’ve already given before
- Some services need to store a cookie in your computer for them to work.
- Managing which adverts you see on some websites
What cookies are used on the Mantell Gwynedd website?
These cookies are used from AddThis social sharing widget in order to make sure you see the updated count when you share a page.
How to manage your cookies
Cookies are sent to your browser by a website, and then stored in the cookies directory on your computer. Your browser may be Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari or any other browser.
To check and update your cookies settings, you will need to know what browser you are using and what version of it you have. You can usually find this out by opening the browser (just as you do to use the
internet), then clicking on ‘Help’ and then ‘About’. This will give you information about the browser version
you are using.