Voluntary and community groups play an important role in providing services for children, young people and adults. It is essential that services and activities which are provided by agencies and organisations are as safe as they can be. In order to ensure this, there is a need to have safeguards in place in every organisation.
In the UK, the law states that all under 18 year old are classed as children. Having safeguards in place will help your group protect vulnerable individuals from harm and abuse. It will also help staff and volunteers to know what to do if they are concerned about a child or young person.
NSPCC use the word “safeguarding” to mean the process of protecting a person from harm – whether this harm is caused by accidents, deliberate abuse, neglect (deliberate or not) or factors such as bullying, prejudicial attitudes or a failure to enable a person to participate in activities that are open to most of their peers.
North Wales Safeguarding Children Board
The Board has the overall responsibility for challenging relevant agencies in the area so that:
- There are effective measures in place to PROTECT children
- There is effective inter-agency co-operation planning and delivering protection services and in sharing information
- Anticipating & Identifying where there may be individuals affected and work with service providers to develop earlier identification and preventative services
- Promote effective multi agency support services
- Promote inter agency approaches to working with community groups and organisations where there may be populations at risk of harm
- Using inter-agency training and dissemination of learning and research to help build a more confident and knowledgeable multi agency workforce
North Wales Safeguarding Adults Board
The objectives of a Safeguarding Adults Board are:
- to protect adults within its area who have needs for care and support (whether or not a local authority is meeting any of those needs) and are experiencing, or are at risk of, abuse or neglect,
- to prevent those adults within its area becoming at risk of abuse or neglect
Click here for North Wales Safeguarding Board’s website
Below you will find template policies to download.
Please be advised that these templates act as guidance and are to be adapted for the purpose of your own organisation or service.
Safeguarding Template Example - click here
Sample child protection policy statement - click here